- Written By:
• Is there an author? Is the page signed? Is the author qualified? An expert? Who is the sponsor? Is the sponsor of the page reputable? How reputable? Is there a link to information about the author or the sponsor? If the page includes neither a signature nor indicates a sponsor, is there any other way to determine its origin?
• Look for a header or footer showing affiliation.
• Look at the URL. http://www.moe.gov.my
• Look at the domain. .edu, .com, .ac .org, .net
– Anyone can publish anything on the web.
– It is often hard to determine a web page's authorship.
– Even if a page is signed, qualifications are not usually provided.
– Sponsorship is not always indicated.
-.Is the information reliable and error]free? Is there an editor or someone who verifies/checks the information?
-. See number 1 above
-. Unlike traditional print resources, web resources rarely have editors or fact]checkers.
-. Currently, no web standards exist to ensure accuracy.
• Does the information show a minimum of bias? Is the page designed to sway opinion? Is there any advertising on the page?
– Frequently the goals of the sponsors/authors are not clearly stated.
– Often the Web serves as a virtual "Hyde Park Corner", a soapbox.
• Is the page dated? If so, when was the last update? How current are the links? Have some expired or moved?
– Publication or revision dates are not always provided.
– If a date is provided, it may have various meanings. For example,
• It may indicate when the material was first written It may
indicate when the material was first placed on th Web It
may indicate when the material was last revised
• What topics are covered? What does this page offer that is not found elsewhere? What is its intrinsic value? How in‐depth is the material?
– Frequently, it's difficult to determine the extent of coverage of a topic from a web page. The page may or may not include links to other web pages or print references.
– Sometimes web information is "just for fun", a hoax, someone's personal expression that may be of interest to no one, or even outright silliness.